NCSBN inducted its inaugural group of Fellows of the NCSBN Regulatory Institute on Aug. 9, 2007, during the NCSBN Annual Meeting and Delegate Assembly held in Chicago.
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Inc. (NCSBN) inducted its inaugural group of Fellows of the NCSBN Regulatory Institute on Aug. 9, 2007, during the NCSBN Annual Meeting and Delegate Assembly held in Chicago. The Institute for Regulatory Excellence (IRE) began in 2004 with the purpose of providing boards of nursing with high quality regulatory education, expanding the body of knowledge related to regulation through research and scholarly work, developing the capacity of regulators to become expert leaders, and developing a network of regulators who collaborate to improve regulatory practices and outcomes. The IRE is a series of educational conferences held annually with the following topics rotated on a four-year cycle: Public Protection/Role Development of Nursing Regulators, Discipline, Competency and Evaluation/Remediation Strategies, and Organizational Structure/Behavior.
The IRE Fellowship Program is a four-year program requiring attendance at the IRE conferences and the completion of scholarly works. Individuals who complete the NCSBN Fellowship Program requirements are called a Fellow of the NCSBN Regulatory Institute (FRE) and are entitled to use the initials FRE after their name in recognition of their accomplishment.
The 2007 inaugural class of fellows are:
- Pamela Ambush-Burris, MSN, RN, FRE, Director of Education & Licensure, Maryland Board of Nursing
- Karla Bitz, MMGT, RN, FRE, Associate Director, North Dakota Board of Nursing
- Gloria Damgaard, RN, MS, FRE, Executive Secretary, South Dakota Board of Nursing
- Dorothy Fulton, MA, RN, FRE, Executive Director (retired), Alaska Board of Nursing
- Julia George, RN, MSN, FRE, Associate Executive Director for Programs, North Carolina Board of Nursing
- Randall Hudspeth, MS, APRN-NP/CNS, FRE, Board Member, Idaho State Board of Nursing, Director of Professional Practice, Saint Alphonsus RMC
- Lorinda Inman, MSN, RN, FRE, Executive Director, Iowa Board of Nursing
- Constance Kalanek, PhD, RN, FRE, Executive Director, North Dakota Board of Nursing
- Charlene Kelly, PhD, RN, FRE, Executive Director, Nursing and Nursing Support, Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services Regulation and Licensure Nursing and Nursing Support
- Betty Sims, MSN, RN, FRE, Nurse Consultant, Texas Board Nursing (until June 2007)
- Valerie Smith, MS, RN, FRE, Associate Director Nursing Practice & Investigations, Arizona State Board of Nursing
Margaret Walker, PhD, MBA, BSN, RN, FRE, Executive Director, New Hampshire Board of Nursing